5 Reasons to Keep Your Brain Well-Hydrated
Over 70 percent of the human body is made up of water, with every bodily function being dependent on water to perform efficiently and at peak levels. While many of us understand that staying well hydrated is important for our overall health, we might not realize just how crucial hydration is for brain function. Instead of making your brain work harder when it’s dehydrated, be mindful of keeping it properly hydrated throughout the day.
The Water and Brain Function Connection
The majority of the brain (about 80%!) is made up of water. For this reason, water is an essential nutrient the brain depends on to maintain optimal function. When our brains don’t receive enough water, many negative effects can result, such as concentration and memory problems, brain fatigue and brain fog, headaches, sleep issues and more.
A few of the main benefits of a well-hydrated brain include:
- Improved Concentration – Our brains are the first to feel the effects of dehydration and it shows by a loss of concentration. Staying properly hydrated enables the brain to stay alert so we can keep our attention and focus.
- Balanced Moods – Studies have identified a link between dehydration and mood disturbances. Drinking water increases the brain’s temperature and gets rid of toxins and dead cells. It also keeps cells active and balances chemical processes in the brain, helping to regulate stress and anxiety.
- Better Sleep – Water increases blood flow to the brain, which increases oxygenation and calms the brain, helping us to get a more restful night’s sleep.
- Sustained Memory Function – When our brains are dehydrated, it becomes harder for us to memorize things, infer information, draw conclusions and create long-term memories. Since it takes only mild dehydration to cause adverse effects on short-term memory, it’s important to drink enough water daily to maintain memory function.
- Prevention and Relief of Headaches – Dehydration has been found to trigger headaches and migraines in some individuals. Several studies have shown that drinking water can prevent or relieve certain types of headaches in those who are dehydrated.
By drinking water and staying hydrated, you’re providing your brain with what it needs to continually perform at its best. Not only will you feel better physically, but you’ll be mentally strong and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Millions of families have trusted Primo to provide high-quality water for their homes. We strive to help families drink more water, better water, every day because Primo is one decision towards a lifetime of health and wellness. Click here to read more about the purification process of Primo water and if you’re looking for the closest place to pick up Primo water, use our handy zip code locator.