It’s no secret that here at Primo Water we love water and touting its numerous benefits. How can we not when it plays such critical role in helping our bodies achieve optimal performance? In addition to aiding circulation, digestion and the elimination of toxins, water also has a starring role in keeping our skin healthy.
How Water Impacts Skin
Water helps to hydrate us from the inside out, keeping nutrients flowing to our skin, which is made up of a large percentage of water—approximately 60%!
Skin, just like other organs in the body, is made up of cells that depend on water to function. The skin also serves as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss.
When our skin cells aren’t sufficiently hydrated, it shows in the appearance of our skin. Dehydration causes skin to become dry. Over time, chronic dehydration can lead to faster aging since dry skin is less resilient and elastic, making it more prone to wrinkles.
How Much Water is Enough?
While it’s typically recommended to consume between six and eight 8-ounce glasses per day of water (about 64 ounces of water daily, give or take), the amount will vary based on the individual. However, the color of your urine can be a good indicator as to whether you’re drinking enough water:
- A pale yellow color suggests you are properly hydrated.
- Completely clear urine could mean you are overhydrated.
- Regular yellow or dark yellow is a sign that you need to drink more water.
Drinking enough water each day to stay properly hydrated will help keep skin looking great and functioning at its best. Below are a few easy ways to increase your water intake each day and promote healthy skin:
- Have a glass of water every time you eat. This includes all meals and snacks.
- Consume fresh fruits and vegetables every day since they have a high water content and will contribute your daily fluid intake.
- Carry a large bottle of water with you so you can easily access water throughout the day – and refill it as needed. Just having a water bottle by your side is a great reminder to drink water!